By: Sarah McIntosh, Project Coordinator, Independent We Stand
Award – Sponsored by Chrysler Group. Trio Hardware & Paint is a Do It Best hardware store that has served the Plainview, New York community for over fifty years.
“Local communities came together to stand by their favorite business in towns across America,” said Bill Brunelle, executive director of Independent We Stand. “Trio Hardware & Paint goes above and beyond in customer service and community support, making it easy for their customers to sing their praises.”
The vast outpouring of support Trio Hardware & Paint received during the Indie Award is one of many examples of the loyalty their customers have shown for the store. After a devastating fire, Trio’s customers helped tremendously by physically carrying merchandise several stores over to a larger location. They also rallied to keep Home Depot out of their community.
“We love our community, they’ve been incredible to us and we try to reciprocate to them,” says co-owner Bruce Carlow. In addition to being one of the founding members of the Plainview Chamber of Commerce, Trio sponsors the local high school robotics team; they give two scholarships yearly to a graduating male and female student; they hire locally; and they sponsor little league and soccer teams.
Trio Hardware & Paint will receive prizes with a combined value of more than $15,000, including:
• $5,000 American Express gift card from Chrysler Group
• $1,000 STIHL equipment certificate redeemable at one of more than 8,000 local dealers nationwide
• “Small Business Web Starter Package” from independent Web design firm Launch Interactive or ARI Network Services that includes custom website layout design and programming with a location page with Google map integration and web traffic reporting
• Three day/two night stay at an independent beach resort hotel in Virginia Beach, Va., as well as a tour of the STIHL Inc. headquarters and dinner with the Independent We Stand team
• Plaque to display at their business
• Five-minute video to be featured on the Independent We Stand YouTube Channel
• Public relations and social media recognition
Carlow stated that the Web design and the $5,000 gift card will be extremely beneficial in helping to improve the business and allow them to better serve their customers. Co-owner Todd Kirschner is most looking forward to the STIHL plant tour as part of the Indie Award prize.
The ten businesses that received the highest number of public votes were deemed finalist submissions. The winner of “The Indie” was chosen by a panel of contest judges.
The top 10 finalists were:
• A. Dodson's, a retail gift shop in Suffolk, Va.
• Afterwords Books, a bookstore in Edwardsville, Ill.
• Authentic Haven Brand Natural Brew, a premium tea company in San Juan Capistrano, Calif.
• Charis Books and More, a bookstore in Atlanta, Ga.
• Cornells True Value Hardware, a hardware store in Eastchester, N.Y.
• Ju-Ju Monkey, a retail shop in Allentown, Pa.
• Matt's Building Materials, a lumberyard and hardware store in Pharr, Texas
• Mike's Community Cup, a coffee shop in SeaTac, Wash.
• Seth Broudy School of Surf, a surf school in Virginia Beach, Va.
• Trio Hardware & Paint, a hardware store in Plainview, N.Y
The 24 quarterfinalists who were not selected for the Grand Prize will each receive an Independent We Stand Premium Membership.
To learn more visit: www.IndieBizAward.com or http://independentwestand.org/