Want a great yard, but not sure the best way to mow? Follow these tips from the pros and your yard will be looking great in no time.
1. Remove debris prior to mowing. Debris, such as small pieces of trash and sticks, that is too large for the mower to mulch can cause problems for your mower and may create safety hazards.
3. Do not mow right after it rains. Mowing wet grass will cause clumping and ruts. This also leaves the lawn more susceptible to certain diseases.
4. Mow in the morning. It’s preferable to mow earlier in the day. It’s better for the grass and the lower temperatures are better for you.
5. Change directions. The pattern change will control coarse grass and create even surfaces.
6. Mow the right height. Generally remove no more than 1/3 of height of the grass.
7. Blow clippings back off hard surfaces after mowing. It looks nice and avoids the clippings from blowing into the street or on your neighbor’s property.
8. Consider grass cycling. Grass cycling allows grass clippings to remain on the lawn, allowing nitrogen and nutrients to be returned to the soil. It also protects against fungal disease. If the grass is long, you may have to double cut it to properly mulch-up clippings. Never leave excess clippings on top of the lawn.
9. Maintain vertical edges along hard surfaces for a manicured finished look. Trim around obstacles using a string trimmer.
10. Keep your mower in top shape. Not only are dull blades not effective, they can damage your lawn.
11. Hire a Pro. Professionals are experienced in safe mowing practices and bring the skills and training to keep your lawn healthy.
You can also visit the STIHL website for information about STIHL mowers.